Monday 10 June 2024

sunny dunny to woodhall dean

 

03-06-24
A rather lovely Monday! I was kind of treading water, waiting for a suitable day to go hunt for fritillaries. The weather was suboptimal but still nice enough to go for a run/hike somewhere. I hadn't been to Woodhall Dean in ages so that appealed. You never know, there might be adders. Okay I've probably been there more than a dozen times and seen adders once. One adder quickly slipping into the undergrowth. So the chances are slim to none, but hey there's more to life than adders. Or butterflies. It is a delightful spot but I've never seen much wildlife there at all. No problemo, jump on a train to Dunbar and see what happens.

the train arrived in Dunbar spot on 10am



My first concern was that recent flooding under this bridge that goes under the A1 might not have receded and I'd get soaking feet for the whole day. I did not have a plan B. So was pleased it was all dry. No sign of speckled woods on the next part of the trail but a hare in the first field made up for that. 


The next few miles follows the route of the Doon Hill Race, latterly known as the Dunbar Multi Terrain 10 Miler. It was the first competitive running race I ever did and Mary and I did it after being encouraged by climbing pal Cliff, who was more familiar with the running scene than we were. I enjoyed it and still have the (British Energy sponsored) medal. It was in 2000! Can that really be 24 years ago? Holy shit! I did the same race loads more times and once even came third in under 63minutes although the distance and route were something of a moveable feast. It was well organised by Stuart and pals of Dunbar Running Club, and was very much in mind today as all this area is well used by Stuart (who lives nearby) and DRC.





Going through a farmyard I stopped to take photos of peeling paint and swallows. A young farmer stepped out his tractor and suggested it was too busy a working farm to have photographers loitering there. He was very friendly and not at all gerroff my land and I quickly accommodated his request.

but not before getting a couple of pics of a resting swallow



the long gradual hill

I was dragging my feet a bit because I knew just round the corner there was a steep hill that climbed sharply, then round the corner another longer but more gradual hill. I was glad not to be racing it but powered up the first hill all in one go, without slowing to a walk. I had a breather at the top then ran most of the rest of the ascent to the Doon Hill sign, where it levels off, like one's heart rate. I have many memories of attacking this in the race, testing myself and those around me. 



The Cement Works from up the hill. I included this photo as it has Barns Ness Lighthouse on the left which I didn't notice when taking it. The site of many Dunbar/Borders cross country races. Happy days!



Up and round the corner you go into woods a bit. First admiral of the day. Also they are building next door to the ruined cottage there. The footpath climbs a gate and goes round the perimeter of a field, past between 5 and 10 wall butterflies on the dirt trail, sunbathing.

Dunbar - sunny Dunny!

I thought I spied a fox but lifting the camera I saw it was a skinny deer

one of the few Walls that stopped long enough for a photo


note one side in sun one in shade
there will be another similar shot on the return journey


In the last mile before Woodhall Dean there is a steep road down to a ford. At the side of that road were these blue flowers which attracted the best small copper of the year (so far) and an admiral that failed to stop for a photo.

it was in perfect condition and sported 4 blue spots either side



lies! nae snakes!




I carried the DJI Pocket for scenery shots (and selfies), which my large camera can't get far back enough to shoot. I often forget about it or can't be bothered to get it out and as a result most of these photos are out the G9. However these 2 are from the Pocket and show the surroundings. I also shot some video which I have edited into a boring (mindful 😉) wee film.
Edit: it is too long to be included here, will have to re-edit. Have cut it to shreds! All the butterflies have been cut! 😭


shortened version


There was very little in the way of wildlife. I could hear lots of birds but now there is so much foliage on the trees it is almost impossible to photo any. This is probably a Dor beetle (dung beetle.)


this pheasant waited till I was really near
then burst out and gave us both a scare!

I went anticlockwise round the circuit then on the way back followed
the low path that goes along the riverside





I saw this large insect on the grass and approached with caution. It was bigger than a bee or wasp and looked like it shouldn't be messed with. Later, ID-ing it on google lens, it seems to be a sawfly - something I've never seen except as a larvae. It looked a bit knackered like it might have been washed out (nearly drowned) after all the rain.


orange tips beginning to look faded

raggedy peacock


damselfly


I wasn't sure if these house martins were stopping for a drink or to collect mud for house building. I lay down on the ground to get photos of them swooping overhead and I think I saw the driver of a car go past shaking their head.


crop sprayer

and back past the sign which is now in full sun
11.34~13.31, 2hrs difference

In order to go over the Brunt (hill) I went left at that sign and then took the next right: I had put a route into my Suunto the night before rather than just follow the same way up and then back down. (See map at bottom of page.)




I worried a little bit I was now into uncharted territory and may be sent packing by an enraged farmer. However none was forthcoming and it gave great views from the top of the hill out into the Forth. When it descended towards Dunbar I decided to follow the second half of the Multi Terrain route. I couldn't remember exactly how it went, however as I approached each section I remembered the route.



blowing in the wind




love this combination of lines and shapes

large white eventually rested

Eventually after the long field perimeter West (I remembered hating this part of the race), the route descends on tarmac and goes under the A1. At this point I got distracted by what looked like a large white and I chased it up and down the flowery border before it finally stopped on a bloom and I got a photo. The final part of the course was leading into the sports centre through the woods they now use for parkrun. Only there has been hundreds of houses built and in the process of being built here. Then a sprint to the line across the sports field. I actually did this although not quite as fast as I used to when racing. It was great to relive this fine race course.

When I got to the station it was 80minutes until the next train. I had a pint (Thistly Cross cider: 10/10) in the Station Bar which only took about 10mins and to avoid getting hammered during the next 70minutes I decided to see if I could photo the kingfisher on the Biel which Malcolm regularly posts pics of. It was about a mile and a half in either direction and I did wonder if the sun had baked my head too much all day, as this was surely a wild goose chase.



There were a load of starlings on the way back to the station and I got so distracted trying to get some photos that I had to run like the clappers the last half mile as it was getting very close to train time. My legs did not thank for me for that and it was probably the fastest I'd run all day. Great day out although this Summer is proving as bad as the wet Spring for low numbers of wildlife and butterflies. I should remember to try and build on my return to running and do some "no camera" runs from time to time. I seem to have forgotten how to. The good news is Mary is beginning to get back to running and that will no doubt inspire me to do similar. 

A good long day out and I felt less exhausted than by previous longer days out. Not quite back to ultra-marathoning but feeling more keen about adventures.


18.85miles (plus 2 station miles in Edinburgh) in 6.5hrs







No comments:

Post a Comment