Thursday 16 November 2023

on safari (west edinburgh)

 

6th November
Another sunny day - in fact a run of really bright weather that pushed me out the house every day from Saturday 4th Nov. to Sunday 12th. The last 7 of those clocking the week's total at 82miles walked and run. Given my average has been anywhere from 15 to maybe 30miles it has all been quite busy. I was getting weary waiting for this current stretch of damp and drizzly to kick in so that I can slow down and catch up with photo-tweaking and blogging. And maybe take a few days off.


First and last thing today I checked up on the waxwings. A few stragglers persisted but I felt there were better ways to spend a beautiful day. I headed along to the Water of Leith. I hoped to get up to the Gallery bridge and maybe interview the kingfisher. 



no sign of the kingy 😥

Also, no sign of the waxwings at Baird Drive. I hadn't remembered if I checked on this occasion but looking at the map I see I ran past Murrayfield then towards Jenner's Depot before heading North to Corstorphine Hill. Nae waxwings! Undeterred I headed up Corstorph Hill. 


Onwards and upwards. I took a thin detour into the woods East of the usual path. It looked more appealing and I hoped might yield all manner of exotic ornithology. It did and didn't. A kestrel flew out the trees and across Murrayfield Golf Course. I followed it and was walking around casually looking up into the tops of likely hiding places when there was a plop! and a golf ball landed about 20 yards away. Possibly time to return to the paths! I saw the kestrel relocate to another tree but alas never close enough for pics. By this time I was now skirting the golf course and quickly bushwacked through the undergrowth to squeeze through a gap in the railings to get back to the public path near the bird feeders.

golf course












The birdfeeders are (unselfishly!) mainly for the benefit of the birds, as they are set in a gloomy corner off the main path and are not very convenient for photography. (They are not mine nor do I know who placed them there, but I must get a similar set up going in Warriston. I have all the kit at home, I just haven't found the ideal place yet.) I was either kneeling with one knee in squelch or standing stooped, shooting above and below branches in near-to-pitch darkness. I exaggerate, but the light under the trees was filthy.


I did wonder if there was any point in standing for 40mins taking grey photos. The birds were having a ball. Hardly any squabbling, each taking turns and often sitting on branches nearby. The feeders must be filled regularly and although everyone scarpered when dogs and children went noisily past, they were back next minute in a near constant stream. I was mostly interested in the nuthatches, but happy to takes pics of all the more common garden birds. A magpie and crow skulked in the background, shyly exploring the ground below the feeders for overspill, more fearful of my proximity than the small birds who ignored me after 5minutes.








bullfinch

Actually the bullfinches were quite wary and came no closer than the most distant feeders. 
While at the feeders I heard hoof-steps and looked over to see a zebra! It is always a delight to be surprised by the inmates of Edinburgh Zoo next door - usually the roar of the lions. Used to be Nyalas at the top of the hill. Or the wallabies behind a distant fence. But to see a zebra grazing in great light with some autumnal trees behind was just fantastic and the highlight of the day image-wise. Despite a metal railing and wire fence between us, I managed to get considerably better photos than I have after paying the entrance fee to get into the zoo.

Their enclosure is one of the largest in the zoo which allows them to be quite some distance from your camera if they choose. I am not as charmed by many of the larger animals (either in the zoo or world at large) however the zebras are just so distinctive and graphic that they make excellent images. I was very interested in areas under their jaws, around eyes, manes, down noses and around leg joints to see how the lines join up or go around and meet. It is top notch work and endlessly intriguing. (These are Grevy's Zebras btw. I found that out the following day)(spoiler alert hint!) 😁










The zebras in sunshine reminded me I should probably leave the dark corner of the bird feeders and see if there are any other well lit treats elsewhere on the hill. I planned to descend off the hill onto the main Corstorphine Road side, so set off, looking to the trees for kestrels, jays, buzzards etc. 


A pleasant surprise was this, the last of the mohicans red admirals. I would place bets it was the same one I saw here with Mary a week ago. It was in the same place and in similar condition. An old campaigner, but not too tatty and still well worth a photo. Often older models are more friendly and sure enough this one didn't object to a wee shot on a warm hand. Almost certainly my last (Scottish) butterfly of the year and a great finish to a decent day out. 





When I got to the road there was a bus approaching so I jumped on and rode it to the East End. I was wondering why I hadn't taken any photos over Calton Hill until I remembered the waxwings. I had had the feeling (back on Corstorph Hill) it might be ideal lighting for the waxwings along in Dalmeny St Pk and that if I sped home I might catch them. By the time I got down the road (even at a gallop) the light had gone. As had the waxwings, though I did a quick loop round the park to make sure. A great day out nevertheless and the inspiration for Mary's birthday the following day..!
(Can you guess?)


Leith walk can be a treasure trove of unexpected finds.

9miles (excluding straight line bus ride), 4 hrs





No comments:

Post a Comment