Friday 25 August 2023

East Lothian Summer Series

 

I was late to the party for this excellent series. I think I did a few sporadically a long time ago and then got out of the habit. This year, being less inclined to work, I had more energy to spare for these weeknight 5ks around 6 venues spread across East Lothian. I saw the first couple and thought I must sign up, but didn't get around to it till race 3 (of 6) which was at Archerfields. There is an obligation to do 4 out of 6 which meant having missed the first 2 I'd be looking to do all the rest. Surprisingly I managed! And really enjoyed them. Here is a quick summary...

Leg 3 Archerfields 11th July: I'd missed the Newhailes leg on 20th June and the Haddington leg on the 5th July. I'd really liked the look of the Haddington leg which was on trails along the Tyne and this spurred me on to get the finger out for Archerfields. Not being a driver, I stood in town waiting for the North Berwick bus for half an hour. When it didn't appear I began to consider getting the train to Drem and running 3+ miles to the start, however on the way from Waterloo Place to Waverley I saw the NB bus and ran back to the stop. The good news was it stopped directly outside Archerfields and it was less than half a mile to jog to the start. 

photo Stuart Hay

Although I was number 102 not everyone turned up to each race. I'd say about 70 ran on average. There was a really good low key feel to the organisation, and the entry fee for each race was only £2 which is ridiculously low! Routes were well marked and marshalled and generally a mix of some road and mostly off road. Like Summertime cross country. There was 20 mins for a warm up to run out the rumbling adrenaline from nearly not getting there, which I did with Nick.

photo Stuart Hay

photo Michael Philp
Big thanks to Michael who took some great photos at these events.

I set off too fast which I paid for in the second half when I was floundering and trying not to drop too many places. The course was around grassy and dirt trails between Archerfields walled garden and Dirleton and it was all very pleasant and mostly flat. It was the only course I did sub20 on. Most were a bit hillier or slightly longer than the 5k, so although it was my fastest time it was also my lowest place.

for full results check ELSS fb page

Leg 4 Whitekirk 25th July: This was tricky to get to for the non-driver. I put my bike on the NB train and cycled 5 miles from North Berwick to Whitekirk under dark grey skies that threatened to unload on us any moment. It was only when I was in the station I realised the bikes spaces on the train might already be fully booked with commuters and my East Lothian Summer Series would then be in jeapordy. However it worked fine. 

photo: Stuart Hay

The race was a toughy. All grass and dirt trails with lots of undulations which felt fine warming up but then I probably set off a little quickly (a pattern forming here?) and the big hill at the far end nearly killed me both laps. Lauren went past on the first big hill (which was short but STEEP!) and although I tried to catch her on the second lap, there was never a chance. At least the spitting rain never turned into a deluge. I didn't hang about for team photos as it looked like rain at any moment and I had a train to catch.


Leg 5 Behaven 8th August: Much easier travelling on the train to Dunbar and a 20minute run across town to Belhaven Bay. Excellent new toilet block. Which came in handy. The problem with evening races can be trying to hold off for a late lunch or a small afternoon snack without going into the race too hungry. Or worse, bloated and feeling like a snooze. The weather had pulled its socks up and it was a delightful evening without being too warm. In a delightful place - pretty much 2 laps round the lovely sandy trails that go along to Hedderwick Point and back along East Links Farm. One of my favourite places for running trails. 

being such a glorious evening I ran with the camera

lots of Porties on the start line

Which was not to say it was easy or pain free. In fact there were several fallers: you had to watch out for roots and holes in the sandy trails and it was hard going running through soft sand. 

photo Stuart Hay

I felt I was finally getting into the swing of these short fast 5ks and set off within myself on this one. I was just behind Lauren and let the fast boys race away ahead. It was possible to take different lines and by running to the left or right you could find a less deep sandy trail and go faster. I know several folk found the sand hard to run on including Lauren who was slipping about in road shoes. I overtook her and stayed ahead, the only time this happened during the 4 races I did. 

and they're off!


Lauren ahead at the start

Just after this and quite early on the first lap, Dunbar runner Richard T took a tumble. Someone asked was he okay and he got up saying yes, however he failed to continue having damaged a leg stepping into a deep hole. He had been leading the v50males at that point. And sadly this ended his ELSS and he didn't race the last 2.

distractions of East Links Farm

photo credit maybe Marshal Matt

note: running to one side where the going is firmer
photo: Marshal Matt


The sandy trails made it hard going, and you knew exactly how long the second lap was having done the same on lap one. Nothing for it but to knuckle down and enjoy the scenery. I tried not to drop too many places although one or 2 went past.


photo: Stuart Hay

David had a fairly big fall as well,
scuffing his shoulder and wrist/hand.

Fasties! 

PRC team photo, thanks Michael Philp



Final leg Musselburgh 17th August: A slightly longer course, 3.7 miles. The good news was that it was out into the strong headwind, and back with the wind pushing us home. The other way round would have been hellish.

start: photo Stuart Hay

front runners early on
photo Michael Philp

Mary and I had cycled down together. It seemed like a mild evening but the wind along the coast meant you were glad of a jacket (if not running). I warmed up with David, Lauren and Steve then set off a little too quickly heading East along the coast. We crossed the Esk and headed out along the seawall, until we turned up the new road past the new bird hides heading back to the Esk. Alex G overtook me but once I got the wind behind me on the return leg I got the place back, and kept it. Mostly tarmac with dirt and grass trails, I ran as fast as possible for the best part of 24 minutes.

Mary took photos in the last half mile.

There was a great atmosphere at the end. A BBQ had been set up and there were age group prizes for those who had completed 4 races. There was a great attendance from PRC and it was all done very well by those who organised it; from route setting, marking and marshalling to food and drink and prizes. Big thanks to them. I was still a little too raddled from running hard to eat anything but was pleased to get the v60 prize. 

Aileen v60 prize
photo Alison Caldwell


George v40 prize
photo Alison Caldwell


Lauren first woman
photo Alison Caldwell

PB: old dog prize!
photo Alison Caldwell

As someone who got out of the habit of racing during the Pandemic this was a lively entry back into the scene. A reminder there is more to racing than just pinning on a number and belting out a fast run. The social side and going along to different places. It gets you out the house! Big thanks to the organisers, I must do more of this sort of thing.


















No comments:

Post a Comment