Thursday 6 July 2023

under east lothian skies

 

26th June
One of the best wildlife runs of the year. And a great way to spend a Monday. I got off the train at Longniddry about 10am. Then ran to North Berwick mostly along the coast. It wasn't ideal weather but it was at times alternating fantastic and dreadful.

cloudy and breezy at Longniddry



SOC - closed Mondays

DGF at Mire Loch - a great start

The general plan was to photograph common blues, admirals, DGFs and birds along the way. You always hold the door open for the chance of brimstone, red kites and other exotics but they rarely show up on demand. Getting close enough to fritillaries is an ask in itself and possibly a more realistic challenge.

linnet


at Aberlady large rain clouds were gathering

common blue

reed bunting

stonechat pair

male and female stonechats



Instead of heading to the beach at Aberlady I decided to climb the path round the edge of the golf course that heads up towards Gullane Point, missing the beach. It was much better for butterflies. Lots of blues and DGFs. With such a stiff breeze the DGFs were staying low and there were loads on the wild thyme. Seeing them is one thing, getting close for pictures is another. Some obliged, some lifted off into that wind and were miles away in seconds. Others dodged in a zig-zag, low over the grasslands looking for females, never settling. I followed one for what seemed like 5 minutes and it never landed once. I video-ed another but I had zoomed in slightly too much and the result was too jumpy, even though I felt I was doing a good impression of a human gimbal. 

dark green fritillary

stonechat (female)

looking West to Aberlady beach and Edinburgh

more rain clouds gathering

I saw the clouds getting dark grey with rain. Given the very obvious wind direction I knew they would be passing overhead within the hour. There is a great path from the high point above the concrete anti-tank blocks along to Gullane, shaded from the wind by high shrubs and sea buckthorn either side. I always feel it will harbour some gems but on this occasion only a chiffchaff. It opens out into a mini-meadow where I root around for female common blues. Again no joy but it's always worth a punt.

chiffchaff


nearly at the car park and being caught quickly

I wondered if the large black weather system might hold onto its load and just pass overhead without unleashing a downpour. It was so warm and sunny it seemed hard to believe it would change so much I'd need shelter. Since my back pack was so full with extra rations - nearly 2lt of drink, heavy waterproof trousers for nettle wading, sandwiches, wallet, mobile etc. I hadn't packed a waterproof jacket. Perhaps an oversight, I was beginning to realise. Still there was always the new toilet block. I was into the car park when the first heavy drops began to fall. I went over to say hello to the Ice Cream Van Lady and she kindly offered to let me sit out the shower in her van, in the front seat. I accepted gratefully and the weather very quickly deteriorated. A short sharp downpour but one I was very glad to be out of. (She also informed me the toilet block was temporarily closed as the system seemed a bit blocked.)

She knew me as The Butterfly Guy - I often wave hello or we have a brief chat when passing by her stance at the car park - I knew her as the Ice-Cream Van Lady. I introduced myself and she told me she was Hazel, which seems not inappropriate in the world of ice-cream. We chatted for ten minutes about all sorts while the rain rattled down and then without us noticing the rain eased off and a queue began to form again outside her closed window. She re-opened for business and I thanked her profusely and went out into the rain-soaked world. 


honoured to have this inside view!

Hazel saved my bacon!


10 minutes later the sun had come out and the butterflies were beginning to reappear. Red admirals always look great on sea buckthorn. My shoes got a bit wet through the long grass of the Gullane dunes but I think I was wearing goretex running shoes which do a decent job of keeping feet dry.

ringlet

I play then I live

love this area

There are various areas great for butterflies just beyond the end of Gullane Bay heading East. Medium sized clusters of thistles, one or 2 well used by red admirals, skippers and blues with DGFs flying through. I spent way longer there than the 3 photos below would suggest. It was here I saw large skippers, but today there were no decent photos. 




Then there is a valley-like groove between the grasslands and dunes, where a couple of stonechats like to sit and clack disparaging comments. It is a one-way hate as I have nothing but love for these delightful birds. They sit up high which makes photos easier. They also allow me to get really very close sometimes. 






Driftwood
thanks to Ava and her Dad for building this great structure


I love how crisp this has come out


memorial to the 15th Duke of Hamilton

So here we are here again! The propeller cone memorial. I may have mentioned it before (5 blogs ago). And that it had never occurred to me to investigate what it was about. (There is no plaque.) Well it was built in 2018 by Dave of East Coast Gardens who put a spyhole through it around head height, that lines up perfectly with Fidra Lighthouse. The 15th Duke of Hamilton, Angus Douglas-Hamilton was born in 1938, had three wives, four children and 5 drink-driving convictions. He was a campaigner for animal welfare, and a motorsport enthusiast, flying planes and driving cars, setting speed records. The propeller on the cairn is from one of his biplanes. Now you know!


Near the memorial is this chinese privet bush which is a favourite with dark green fritillaries. They both bloom about the same time of year, late June / early July. The butterflies look amazing on the contrasting green and white bush, and save you chasing about the dunes after this super-speedy butterfly. There weren't that many DGFs in attendance but enough to make the visit worthwhile.

















leaf cutter bee


yellowcraig beach

JMW through the crop field


A brilliant day out; the last day when the DGFs, a favourite butterfly, were in prime condition. On the next visit they were beginning to look a bit worn with tears and notches out wings and scales washed or rubbed off. Great to catch them in mint condition and get a few photos along this beautiful coast. Around 14 miles walked and run. I picked up the pace for the last 3 miles to catch a specific train.

about 14miles
Slightly different map as I'd left my suunto uncharged.







No comments:

Post a Comment