Friday 3 February 2023

bohemian rhapsody

 

14th Jan
I nearly forgot to post about the Waxwings! I had them filed under W and not by date as usual because, well because they are Waxwings and as such defy the commonplace. 

I had been fantasising about them in December you will recall, and watching the local berry trees. They are Winter migrants, Bohemian waxwing (bombycilla garrulus) and blow in from Scandinavia randomly on their way elsewhere. So when they appeared mid-December I was a bit frustrated because they arrived the day before Mary and I jetted off to sunnier parts. I thought I'd lost my chance to photo them this Winter. 

However, in the second week of January, more reports came in of a second flock. They were occupying the berry trees near Bankhead Roundabout. I wondered if I'd be frustrated again. Firstly by work, secondly by poor health.


I presume I picked up some gastric 'flu bugs at parkrun on Saturday 7th, standing around afterwards breathing in big gulps of buggy air and chatting to folk. By Monday I was feeling a little less than brilliant but had a job to get on with and so was largely in denial. On Wednesday I cycled in to work, dropped off the paint I was carrying and cycled straight home to spend the rest of the day in bed. I was so grey looking that I was offered a lift home and to leave my bike. I cycled, but was defo in a bad way. Not the usual runny nose or sore throat variety but a loss of appetite and churning stomach. I very rarely get ill and am not used to it. The weather was not bad and for a moment I considered the possibility of using my sick day to cycle across town to visit the waxwings. Not a chance. I was properly floored. 

In fact I took the following day off (much of it in bed) as well. Back to work on Friday feeling a little better but still wobbly and with no appetite. The upside was losing weight by eating very little. But I was nowhere near full strength. On Saturday the forecast was mixed and I set off on the bike to glamorous Sighthill.

Because I didn't want to arrive in a damp sweat and freeze, I took an hour to get there. It is NOT one of the prettier spots in town. The Calder Road is an ugly beast and this roundabout is the turn off for Westerhailes Road. I first of all checked out the berry bush at the Shell Station. I was disappointed there was no sign of birds there, as the strong chilly wind whipped the light drizzle past my shivering face!

berry bush, Shell Station: scenic?

I unpacked my camera and another duvet jacket which I put on over the fleece jacket I had cycled in. It was a gloves and hat day. I pushed my bike glumly up to the roundabout. It has trees and a circle of grass accessed by underpasses. So you are a barrier away from all the traffic whizzing by, and lower down too. As soon as I entered the amphitheatre I saw several folk with long lens cameras and knew I had come to the right place. A real paradox of a little miracle in one of the grimmest urban environments. Why these birds are drawn here is anyone's guess. They like the berries, but these are not the only berry trees in town. 

I counted about 23

I had initially thought they would sit as they were for photos. I was there for a few minutes when they flew off. I watched as they landed in a nearby tree outwith the roundabout. I pushed my bike over to where they sat, high up in a non-berry tree. They stayed there 10 mins until they flew back to the roundabout trees. The other photographers mostly waited in the roundabout where the trees were lower and you could get a better angle. Especially when the sun came out. The sun was quite well behaved and gave us sporadic moments of decent lighting. All the rest of the time the birds were silhouetted against the sky and pretty useless unless you cranked the exposure in post which makes the blue sky turn white.


a little bit of sun!

damn focus!






The birds were surprisingly unfazed by a few humans standing really quite near. Nobody was jumping about and all moving pretty stealthily. I got a few more sunny shots and they flew off again. We could see them 60 yards away. I waited another 30mins in cold breezy weather. A large dark purple cloud came in from the West. I packed up and cycled away just escaping the next downpour.

Latest reports on Lothian Birdwatch fb group suggest the flock size is now about 30 with another similar sized flock in the region. I have no idea how long they will stay and whether they are still based around the same roundabout. Sounds like they are in the vicinity. Most days you could spot a few long lens photographers and realise where they are.

I was very pleased to get some reasonable photos. My first ever encounter with Waxwings. They were slightly larger than I had anticipated. I thought they would be finch sized but they were nearer starling size and seemed larger due to the amazing plumage. They were not too flighty. The photos were okay. But I felt I could return and do better. But also maybe a lot worse. It was a risky investment when I was far from feeling bushy tailed. So far I have resisted the call for a second encounter. Perhaps if they come to a better venue. In milder weather. Couldn't face Calder Road again. And as soon as the sun disappeared the game was over. Another grim hour home on various cyclepaths as light rain threatened. 

presidential hairstyle?





glam!

16 miles, 3hrs




No comments:

Post a Comment