Sunday 8 January 2023

christmas parkrun


We returned from Tenerife on 23rd December. Saturday was a parkrun and we would've most likely taken part except we had returned to find a leak in our roof had partially flooded our kitchen and livingroom. We spend the time organising a carpet cleaner (from my brother, huge thanks!) and tidying up, and neither of us suggested we aim for Saturday. However Sunday, Christmas day, an extra parkrun was put on at Holyrood. We had just about recovered from the travelling and felt it was the best way to celebrate a rather dark and dingy xmas.



I was confident that all the training in Tenerife - and some decent 5k track improvements - would lead to a massive personal best at Holyrood and gave myself as much of a chance as possible by warming up loads, not carrying a camera and going at the run as a hard as possible from the off.



I looked at my watch at the top of the first hill and was a little surprised to see it was pretty much the same time as usual - about 7mins just before Dunsapie. Similarly at the high point before the long descent - another place I measure progress. So when I crossed the finish I was already used to the news that it wasn't going to be the huge pb I had imagined. I put it down to the rigours of travelling and the rather rubbishy weather: damp underfoot, a bit windy up the hill etc. But was not best pleased. I had rather anticipated that 2 weeks of regular speedwork would have returned me to the sort of form that 20 years of training had produced. Not to be, oh well, such is life. 

Ivor, not far behind.

Rich having another great run with son number 2, Fionn

I think I was nearer to not being completely whipped by Rich&Son on this occasion. I followed hot on their heels (drafting their racing pushchair) on the way up the hill and then actually overtook. To be fair they had stopped to put a hat on Fionn who was feeling the cold. And it didn't last long. When they came past they continued to make ground for the rest of the course. I had seen my dreams of a huge pb being revealed to be optimistic so had settled into a may-as-well-not-kill-myself-for-this attitude. While I wasn't coasting, I maybe didn't absolutely burst myself either. I also hadn't quite paid close enough attention and didn't realise till later that I ran my (then) current pb time to the second. 


Alex cheered me up by running slower than me
(when he should be far faster)



TeamGreta had a good run. They opted for Star Wars colours as that is fairly chrismassy. They also have an onboard dicso with speakers that gives all the surrounding runners a lively tune or 2 on the way round. And warns people they are coming. I think I heard Rich singing a carol to his son for the same purpose, or he might have been having fun at my expense - I was breathing too raggedly to hear the fine tuning of his joking about. 




Mary I seem to remember had a similar run to myself. Not as impressive as all that training should have produced. But we both faired better and knocked out PBs the following week which made a great finish to a year which has not been particularly kind to Mary; injuries, and many miles walked instead of run.





The following week: Hogmany and the last parkrun of the year. 



TeamGreta knock out a new PB



The weather did not improve for Jan 7 parkrun. I wasn't looking forward to the early damp start but at least the rain didn't get properly going until we were underway. It was a Carnethy takeover and there were a few familiar faces helping out with marshalling etc. It was so rainy I didn't take a camera but Mary took her smallest compact, and took these pics before and after...


good to see Bob out working off the figgy pudding


Kerry has been knocking out parkrun PBs regularly
(3rd lady and Marcothoner.)
(Marta on right in grey leggings.)


Marcin with his back to the camera.

I spent most of the climb, actually most of the course, watching a yellow Total Warrior t-shirt just ahead of me. I would have overtaken if I could but he was always a few loping strides ahead. I think the gap extended and then maybe I reeled him in again with only 6 secs between us by the end. It was only afterwards I realised it was Marcin. He had turned up to run with Marta (who finished 1 sec ahead of Mary!) but when he saw I was there, decided to pace me instead! (Without mentioning it.) I was very pleased to be relatively close. There was a PRC session a month or 2 back; mile intervals on the Prom, when he was in a different league from me and I was dying. 

The rain really started to hose down just at the finish and most dispersed quickly. No photos of a triumphant Ian.

The parkrun results initially said I had run a PB (I was wearing a stand-in watch as mine had died in the rain midweek and I wasn't sure about its accuracy) however everyone seems to have been given the next place down the results after some ratification, myself dropping 4 secs and missing a PB. 

Meanwhile Ian turned up solo this week, Greta being under the weather with a cold. I knew given his recent results (19.10 at Cramond with Greta!) that he would be going well and sure enough he managed 20.09. He overtook me before Dunsapie and made ground the whole way round. Top running!







No comments:

Post a Comment