Tuesday 31 May 2022

making the grade


25-05-22
There has been a lot of excitement and exotic photos taken of late so I was about to skip over this trip to Warriston a week ago. (It seems longer than a week ago.) Then I took a quick scan through these images and stopped when I remembered the lucky Large White. And the little wren! When I remembered the pair of blackcaps, that sealed the deal and decided the day definitely merited a quick blog. I seem to remember the weather was patchy but with sufficient sun to catch a few lucky moments. Lots of photos of a female orange tip which was flitting about. And was all I could find to photograph as most of the birds seem to be in hiding.



disappointed to see last year's woodpeckers nest being
used by a less enticing great tit family

a quick sighting of a pair of bullfinches at the tunnel
but neither were keen to hang about and the light was rubbish


not dead yet!
great to see tons of new growth on this old oak trunk

orange tip female

possibly laying eggs






I had a visit to the secret garden. Lots of work has been going on there although it looked kind of desolate. Partly from the lack of the little birds who failed to appear as normal and partly because of all the new growth on the surrounding trees which blocks the light and leaves the place kind of dark and dingy. I didn't hang around for long as there wasn't enough light for photos.


Meanwhile along at the crypts this young wren was practicing how to do alarm calls. Unlike the adult birds it forgot to hop into the long grass and continued to peep away. I was able to stand quite close and get photos and video. It was very amusing even though it wasn't meant to be. 




speckled wood

The weather wasn't great (although it looks it from these sunny photos) and I was considering leaving when a large white flew over and landed by the orange tip I was watching. I had seen a large white (most likely the same one - they are not common in Warriston,) swoop past a couple of times earlier but didn't stop before soaring high into the trees. I couldn't believe my luck when it landed so close. I just had time for a dozen pics before it was off again. Only 2 were properly in focus.

large white and orange tip - lucky lucky!


stock dove - also quite rare


a favourite tree just coming into blossom
actually it may just be a rhododendron bush

the background of this robin clip
reminds me of how windy it was

can't see the bird for the trees



I was on my way home (through the tunnel and heading to the bridge at Powderhall) when I saw the blackcaps. I had previously seen and photographed the male but hadn't even seen the female - who has a browncap. They must have a nest round there and were both out catching beakfuls of St Marks Flies and other insects to return home with. Happily they were both busy enough not to be unduly bothered by my presence. I stood for ages watching them come and go. I took a lot of photos and a very small percent came out. Partly because as already stated the trees are blocking out a lot of the available light. And the blackcaps are fairly shy and were not hanging about. And the branches were swaying about like crazy in the wind. I'd be zooming in on one perch and they'd be onto the next. Sometimes they sat still for a few seconds, but it was rare. None of the photos are brilliant but they are good record shots and I felt kinda lucky to have been able to see these pretty little birds reasonably close by. They have a lovely song but were mostly quiet today, concentrating on feeding young I would think.


female blackcap (I know - should be a browncap)





It also helped that I had chosen a spot where I must have been partly invisible, possibly blending in to the bushes around me. I only found this out when first a dog went past without seeing me and then the owner. I said hello and he looked around to see who had talked. I said hello again and he eventually saw me and nearly jumped out of his skin. I apologised, and he said he often stood still taking photos with his mobile and appreciated what I was up to. 


Although it was a short trip along the road and not the best weather for a lot of it, I felt blessed to have come home with some reasonable images and pleasant memories.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment