Tuesday 5 April 2022

warriston - what is it good for?

 

A couple of visits on the 30th March and 1st April.
Not a lot of good weather on the 30th. Most of the photos I took were a bit dull. For a few minutes the sun nearly came out while I was at the feeding tables - a dunnock (or 2) had been appearing there recently so I was chuffed when it sat happily for a few photos without the robin chasing it off as usual. 

I had decided to have a last scout about before leaving when I caught sight of the kestrel again. I had seen it earlier twice, first time it flew overhead and disappeared before I had a chance to see where. Next time I disturbed it and it flew off, again no idea where. This time I saw it fly and then land on the other side of the cemetery. I used max stealth to approach it very slowly and when I was within camera range shot a few frames. It saw me and disappeared off again. It may be the same as the bird that appeared a while ago although that one (maybe the same but younger) was a lot more relaxed. Nice to see such a fab bird but disappointing not to get closer. 


dunnock

chaffinch

kestrel (male)


1st April
Another visit and since the sun was out all day, more photos. No kestrel though. I put out food in the secret garden as I often do and the bullfinches appeared almost right away. I got the feeling they were passing through the area about the right time and I saw them just as I was going in. They saw me and maybe associate me with handouts. Anyway a bullfinch day is a good day. I shot some video and took loads of photos which are so much nicer when the sun shines. The crow by the tunnel said hello too although when I put out food for it, it wasn't that interested. What are things coming to when a crow loses interest in food?


indifferent

dunnock again







bullfinches

The bullfinches benefitted from the lack of robin. However he eventually turned up and chased eveyone about for a short while before retiring. He has a partner currently and is slightly less aggravating perhaps because of this. The dunnocks also benefit from this and at one point there were 2 of them sitting on the food tables. The robin would never have tolerated such impudence in the past. 






mr and mrs robin

coal tit




dunnock


Since it doesn't get any better than a pair of bullfinches I thought I would leave and while the sun was still shining run along to the botanics. I thought there might be some butterfly action or just some different birds from Warriston. While it was really nice to walk among the excellent plants and trees, it did not provide much in the way of exotic wildlife. Oh apart from a woodpecker. If you keep your eyes high in the trees on the North side and North West corner you can often see woodpeckers hopping about the tops of trees. I saw the one below near the main entrance opposite Inverleith Pk. People were walking about (blethering) oblivious to it directly above. 


reduced to photographing flies!
(First it's flies, then hoverflies and bees, then bee-flies, then butterflies.)






While I was there - just after 1pm - this squadron of 5 American F15s and 2 tankers flew overhead. They left an impressive line of con-trails across the sky. Local speculation was rife about their potential involvement in the Ukraine war but they were on their way back to South Carolina from RAF Lakenheath. 

any sign of kingfishers? Nope!


female woodpecker hopping about looking for insects







Now this was greatly frustrating. What I think was an adult and offspring wren were hopping about in the undergrowth. At first I only saw the adult which, as I approached, dived into the undergrowth. I was about to leave when I saw the other one (as photo-ed) hopping about, not having developed the same defensive tactics. But could I get a decent photo? Man I was trying and trying and it just hopped every time I got close. It was cute as anything even though it appears to be exactly the same as the adult in these pics. Maybe it was smaller? Both birds eventually disappeared about the point I was tearing my hair out. 2-0 to the wrens. 





The Campbell's Magnolia tree round the back of the cafe was in full bloom. Actually just past its best and the flowers were beginning to curl and spoil at the edges. It is a great sight and a fab tree. There were several other magnolias around the gardens just coming into bloom and they are impressive. 



plenty rhododendrons in full bloom and just coming out about now too



another smaller one - magnolia stellata


Then it went all dull and grey and I went home. The end.







No comments:

Post a Comment