Wednesday 30 March 2022

nearly marvellous

 

But not quite. Marvellous that is. I mean we had a good run and there was stuff to photo and it felt a bit Spring-like for the 11th of March. But it was a bit overcast and nothing was really singing. Apart from a skylark. A soundtrack more associated with Summer. One flew out the field we passed on the outskirts of Gullane heading East. I wondered about the wisdom of carrying the good camera on a 9 mile run and whether it was better to carry it in my hand or safe in my backpack. Then a skylark rose out the field right beside us and started that rapid-fire song. I wouldn't have had time (or inclination) to get the camera out the backpack. So maybe I just have to carry it and hope I don't trip or fall. Sometimes you have to live without a safety net. Although the pics didn't turn out that well.

skylark






Around about here and Mary, who breakfasts earlier than I do, began to talk about the walled garden cafe. Mostly she is very strict with herself when it comes to snacks and treats so when she didn't let it drop I said fine and she had a coffee and cake while I had just a cup of tea. I had a corner of her cake but didn't feel I should be overdoing things. I am only running once or twice a week and still carrying a few Winter pounds that could do with being dropped. 



It seemed daft to retrace our route back up to the road we had been following and so headed into Archerfields gated community. Mistake! We found ourselves on the wrong side of the 6' green fence that separates the big houses on the coast from the coast. We ran East to the golf course but the fence was still stopping us getting to the beach trails. We followed it all the way round to the car park at Yellowcraigs and still we were fenced in. Eventually where 2 fences met, we climbed up and over. Not user friendly and lesson learned. 


wrong side of the fence

ahh that's better
Imagine owning a house by the sea and not being able to get down to the sea? 




This splendid ramp down to the beach was under construction last time we came through. It is now finished although I'm not entirely sure just how essential it is. Apart from Bruce and pals on fatbikes how many will be taking wheelchairs and bikes over the beach which is awfy rough around here? I suppose it is a boon for the elderly and those who maybe found the steep drop to the beach from the path a bit abrupt. It is very well constructed and I hope well preserved. I would have put another coat or 2 of creosote or preservative over it, but I'm sure whoever implemented it knows what they are doing. Top marks for simple effective design and construction.




This barky polar bear came out across the sand heading straight for us barking like a frenzied bastard while its owner called it back and then ran over to rescue us. I got into fight mode hoping it wouldn't come to that and all the time saying in a calm and friendly voice Hi there! Good boy! Nice doggy! but if I had had a gun I'd have shot the fucker. It is just not on having a polar bear sized attack beast off the lead and charging at runners while aggressively barking. It stopped before it got to us and eventually the owner reclaimed it. He was at least apologetic, although it didn't seem like it was the first or would be the last time. Arseholes both.

A mile on and another dog, a collie a long way ahead of its owner gave us a curious look but otherwise passed by without incident. When the owner went past he asked did his dog behave itself and we said yes thanks it did. And thanks for your concern. Which evened up the score somewhat and (partially) restored faith in humanity. Although it is probably a good thing they don't sell guns in shops here, as they do in America.




Mary stopped for a breather and to shake out the threatening aches in her legs at the driftwood patio thing. There were a pair of delightful stonechats just back in the scrub which let me get close but not super-close. First this year and I was glad I had bothered with the good camera although the light was so crappy they are poor quality pics. 

male stonechat


female stonechat









fieldfare near Gullane car park

9 miles







1 comment: