Saturday 26 February 2022

a glimpse of sun in a month of dull

 

24th Feb.
Quick! The sun has come out; grab the camera and run to Warriston!

It's about the only running I'm doing at the moment, apart from Saturday Torture, which involves doing a lot of slow miles (about 11) until I grind to a near halt then doing some even slower miles (4 or 5) and then going home. It is not great fun and is putting me off doing any midweek miles. The only reason I don't give up entirely is I'd have to eat and drink less. Or turn into a fat b@stard. But the difference between going for a run and going to photograph wildlife is night and day. It's not fabulous every time I go out hunting birds and butterflies but I never come home aching, wanting to lie down in a darkened room. I've just come in from 16 miles up and down the Water of Leith which is why I am feeling a bit broken. 


So the other day the sun came out and I dashed along to Warriston. Due to the East gate having been repaired I now enter the grounds by Powderhall bridge or the step-over wall along the Tescos cyclepath. This time it was the bridge and so I found myself in the riverside section opposite the now demolished Powderhall B&Q. It seemed to be bustling with birdsong so I put out birdfood on the places the birding couple use. However they are not photographers and their chosen spots are not that great for photos / direction of light. I have instigated a few more spots but suspect the birds prefer a continuity so put out quite a lot of stuff round 3 or 4 headstones and other flat spots. Soon there is a fair amount of traffic. 





The traffic includes a very blue blue tit. There are a couple of bullfinches above in the trees and whenever they sing their one note falling call I whistle it back as best I can. I suspect they know the difference even though it is pitch perfect. I think it probably sounds (at best) like someone from a foreign country talking your language. And possibly more like Manuel than Angela Merkle. Nevertheless 5 minutes later they are perched in the trees right next to the headstone topped with sunflower seeds and after scrutiny both join in the party. (Female first, she seems to be bolder, or more trusting, or more hungry.) A bullfinch day is always a good day. Although they take their time to scrutinse the scene before taking part, when they do, they sit quietly and don't fret, making taking photos so much easier.








her first, him watching





Realising it is hard to top a bullfinch photo, I move on to see if anyone else is about. There is lots of cheeping and peeping about the place as if all the birds are enjoying the sun as much as I am. I am in such a light mood I even say hello to an older dude who is listening to a boogie box and possibly drinking or smoking something like a flippin' teenager. However we exchange pleasantries and I head up to nearer the tunnel. I have been holding out the breaded hand of friendship to a couple of robins who live here.

I spot a wren on the lower branches of a tree and inch into the line of fire. I get one photo and then someone blows a whistle right in my ear hole. I turn round to see a robin sitting about twelve inches from my head. It is one of the pair who live in the tree the wren is sitting on. I think he or she recognised me as the handout guy and got excited so shouted right in my ear. I said hello and got some bread out. The youngster flew in from stage right and beat the other one to it. He then flew down and without landing on my hand hovered and took a small piece of bread. The wren had long ago gone.


right beside my head!


adult above, offspring below (I think)





rare to see 2 robins happy in each others company 
unless related

ringed blue tit
I suspect the same ring numbers as the regular great tit at the secret garden


wren

I think mother nature gave me an extra wren to make up for the one I missed earlier when the robin distracted me. This one was shouting away and hopping about in the failing light, for just long enough to get a few shots before it dived into the undergrowth. I could see some dark grey clouds moving in so ran home before it poured down, although it brightened later. Quite a few goodies in a short time (2hrs?) so I felt well rewarded.




No comments:

Post a Comment