Thursday 13 January 2022

old year, new year

 

31st Dec, 1st Jan.
Both quite fun days at Warriston. I hadn't been for about a week and wondered if my little robin friend would remember me. I also wondered if he thought about my absence, or resented my not turning up. A neglected child will huff or show their displeasure. I wondered if little Hitler would give me the cold shoulder?

puddle at the East gate

That puddle was a consideration. Entrance is through the gap in the railings on the left (North) side. I could step into it and get a slightly damp foot. Or I could jump to beyond it and risk a foot slide and sit in the mud. I compromised with a slight jump to the nearest dry side into some mud but nothing hectic enough for a one-footed-slide-and-fall. Always mindful of the camera.

jelly ear fungus - apparently edible



From the photos it looks like I went almost straight to the feeding tables. And Hilter forgave my absence and sat on my gloved hand. I was also pleased by the presence of a male blackbird. It reminded me of a ringed female that was a regular last Winter but one that hasn't reappeared this season. There are many blackbirds around the cemetery but few turn up for handouts. This one here and maybe another (or the same one) in the riverside section. I always think the riverside section is some distance from the secret garden because I walk all the way to the tunnel and then back round (maybe 300 yards). But it could be as little as 40 yards as the blackbird flies. The local blackbirds seem to have a more orange tint than average to their beaks. 



back to his old tricks - defending "his" territory



nuthatch - hadn't seen one since 15th October

I was delighted to see a nuthatch. I wasn't sure (of its identity) when it first appeared in the trees above the cyclepath next to the secret garden. But my recognition of the garden birds is getting more instinctive. I can tell, without fully engaging my eyes and brain, what a bird is from just a fleeting glance. Not always right, but more often than not. I thought I had caught a whiff of nuthatch and sure enough, 5 mins later one landed at the further table. Hitler got there before I could get the shot and the nuthatch flew off. But only to a nearby tree where I got a record shot. As you can imagine I had a notion to throttle my little red-breasted acquaintance. Maybe this was his revenge for my neglect? The nuthatch never returned. 



blue tit

coal tit




I am also getting a feeling for recognising the squirrels. To begin with they all seem very similar. I think this one above is a female and comes down a tree (not the steps) and gingerly checks below the tables and at the wall for fallen goodies. She is more shy than Mr Big who sits on the steps watching me while he hoovers up the bread and seeds, but won't run off (unless dogs come through) and will let me slowly approach quite close for photos.



The wood pigeons are a bit of a menace. If they land on the tables they will stay until they have eaten everything, or swept it to the floor with their wingbeats. If they approach I will step forward or clap or shout PIGEONS! and they fly back up into the trees. They wait there until I am gone then land and eat everything.

Mr and Mrs Bullfinch



Always a pleasure to see the rich colours of the bullfinches. I seem to remember on this occasion they did not actually get to the tables; or were promptly seen off by the robin, and didn't return. Often they hang about in the trees above, and check out the comings and goings, presumably being reassured by the coal tits and great tits and their constant comings and goings, that it is a safe place for a snack and not a trap. When they do land, they sit happily munching unlike those other 2 species that get a beakful and fly off to consume in the trees. (Often jamming a sunflower seed between feet to hammer with bill.) 





The chaffinches have been rarer at the feeding tables (than last Winter) but there are perhaps a couple in the riverside section that are beginning to recognise me as a source of food. There are a couple of birdwatchers regularly attend this area and put out food for them so that probably helps. There is at least one chaffinch that will sit very nearby in a similar manner to the robin.

riverside robin

chaffinch


male gsw






I then saw a pair of woodpeckers. They are not very big and when high in a tree are difficult to spot. I have put this photo up to give an idea. I ringed the photo below to show where they were. I think the female is below on the right, the male higher.



female


Antony was up to his Gormleys

Or as Chris said "up to his Johnson".
(Presumably referencing Antony and the Johnsons)

Next day, 1st Jan
Now I wasn't hungover because I'd gone to bed completely sober. It's a long time since I felt any compulsion to celebrate Hogmanay. That is for the English and the drunks of Leith who don't need an excuse to get smashed. It was far too nice a day to waste with a hangover. 


Within minutes of arriving, nearly the first bird I saw was this nuthatch which flew to the tree I was passing. I was very excited and nearly fluffed getting photos. It was only when I got home I found out I had indeed fluffed it with only this and another equally poor record shot to show (out of 16 or more shots!) In my defence the bird was on the shaded side of the tree and didn't sit still or pose at any point. And then it flew off into a heavily ivied tree never to be seen again.


Wee Nancy


a little bit of photoshop to remove a distraction


that's better






This is beside where I reckon Hitler robin has his nest/roost. I approached slowly as this blackbird was standing there, posing for a pic. As I got closer she lifted her left leg to stand on just the right, which I took as a compliment to show how relaxed she was about my company. While I said thanks and took some photos the robins appeared. I am able to identify Herr Hitler by a couple of strands of what seem to be the remains of his immature plumage, that extend from the back of his head. Other than that I have failed to see any distinguishing features. 




However it is not always easy to differentiate between himself and his girlfriend. I am assuming this is his mate as I don't think he would tolerate another male so close by. I held out my hand and I think it was maybe Mrs. Hitler that came over first. I believe he has somehow imparted the info that I am a safe bet for a hand out, possibly by example rather than by gossip. Anyway all of a sudden there is a ruckus. Perhaps because she took some of "his" bread in "his" airspace. There was a bit of to-and-fro and he also took some bread. I think she may have her work cut out. 


Hitler - note thin strands from back of head just above shoulder

bad boy




Mr Big


coal tit



Mrs Bullfinch







Mr Bullfinch




blue tit



the other squirrel



great tit




where the magic happens

the holly tree robin



Now this squirrel looked to have a 1st of Jan hangover. There seemed no other explanation as to why it held this position for 5 mins. Just closing and slightly opening its eyes. Sat sunning itself as if saying never again, never again, my head is bursting!

I went from the riverside area to North of the crypts. I hoped to find goldcrests, sparrowhawks and woodpeckers in the taller trees, but wasn't having much luck. Until, in a stage whisper, from one of the birders who either stand down by the river, or up on top of the East side of the crypts, as on this occasion - "check out the top of the Celtic Cross." I knew what this might be and scanned the larger monuments on the lower ground from the fence above. (Alan had thanked them for pointing him towards the kestrel a couple of days prior, when he posted very similar photos.)

I crouched low and saw the bird, possibly a youngster, on top of one of the taller stones. I took a few shots from a distance in case it flew off then approached in a stealthy manner, although possibly looking more like I had maybe pulled a muscle or stepped in something bad. It seemed happy to sit and have its photo taken so I moved less cautiously up to the fence and took more photos. It only moved when a crow flew directly at it. And even then it just flew to the next large stone and settled there, hardly even resenting the crow which took its previous perch. It was even nearer for photos and I took several thousand, and then shot some video. I think the crows moved it on and it glided through the trees to a distant perch on an obelisk. I reckoned I'd got as good shots as I'd get so was happy to leave it at that rather than chase it round the cemetery.







hopefully this bird will return regularly to hunt here


the birders - pointed me towards the kestrel


the hole in the wall gang

bullfinches on the way home


skyline from St Mark's

opposite the library on MacDonald Road







No comments:

Post a Comment