Wednesday 22 December 2021

easy rider

 

10th Dec.
Another bike round scenic East Lothian, this time starting from home heading down the coast then from Aberlady inland to Haddington, along to Pencaitland and play it by ear from there.




We stopped to talk to Aileen at the other end of the prom. Really just a list of complaints from all of us about how getting older is not as easy as it used to be and that speed and pace is all going down the pan. But since there was no alternative one should stick at it. All you can do is recognise it (and complain.)


widgeon on the Esk



This was one of the highlights of the day. A starling so pleased to see the sunshine it was giving a command performance to whoever would stop to listen. Fast paced clicks and cheeps between whistles and syncopated beats. And that dazzling oily plumage sparkling in the sun. I'm not sure if Mary realised I'd stopped. I took some video with my compact camera (which I posted later on facebook). Happily the audio wasn't too mashed by wind-noise. But I was disappointed I didn't take the time to get my better camera out which would have done the job better. You never know if a bird is going to fly off while the bridge camera is being hauled out the pannier bag; and all the time Mary is round the corner wondering where I've got to. I took some more photos then jumped on my bike and caught up with Mary.





I have seen very few starlings this year. Others have posted pics of flocks of them surrounding garden feeders but there doesn't seem to be many in the places I visit. Possibly some on the cyclepath, but this was so rare I couldn't pass without a few photos. 

Round the next corner after the lagoons 2 bullfinches sat raiding the seeds off some dry and withered looking stalks. Mary spotted them and we both took some distant record shot of poor quality before I parked/dropped my bike and went forward in a stealthy manner (I thought) while a car drove between me and them. After the car passed there was no bullfinches and I felt a bit daft. They seem to have taken off and disappeared. Even though the weather was ideal the photos are barely worth putting up here. Having a decent big camera really underlines the paucity of the compact.


onwards and upwards!


Port Seton



We agreed Aberlady was a good spot to stop for some refuelling. We bought sandwiches and juice in the shop there and decided Postman's Walk was as good a place to enjoy it as any. The sun was shining and it was strange to be visiting Postman's Walk without finding butterflies. 


My bike placed against a wall, Mary's tossed to the ground!

fuelled up and ready for the the hill to Haddington


As we cycled inland I spotted this buzzard on the telephone pole. (It is often there or along the road when we drive past.) I was carrying the compact camera in my pocket and got it out for a photo. In my excitement (and wearing gloves) I must have pushed the post-focus Fn button. This means when you take a photo it takes maybe 5~15 images of every object in the frame that has a different focal length. So it goes click click click click click click while I shout obscenities and say I never asked it to do that, while the buzzard lazily flies off into the next field. It also won't leave post focus mode until I remember which of the 5 or 6 Fn buttons I have to push a second time. This takes 5 mins while I cycle up the road to catch Mary, who is unaware I have been stomping about like a deranged psycho shouting swear words at a disobedient camera. No use just taking the battery out or switching off. I have never yet actually used the post focus mode. It's more of a function for those people who have a tripod and can't work the focus and are sitting on their hands, or are blind. And aren't taking photos of a bird that's about to fly off. M&th3rF^%eRs!

I think it took most of the climb up to the Hopetoun Monument 
for my anger at the camera deliberately ruining my buzzard shot to subside.



We cycled through Haddington and turned right out the Pencaitland Road. This is only a few miles but they are the least enjoyable of the day. Something about this road is hard work and boring and not much changes as the other vehicles fly past. It might be slightly uphill. It feels like it. And it goes on for a long time into the prevailing wind.



At last we go through Pencaitland and get onto the cyclepath. This is so much more pleasant. Also much easier cycling than running it which we do more often. When you run there is an uphill section for about 3 miles to Crossgatehall but on a bike it is a dawdle.




light is fast fading as we get back to the Prom



moon

41 miles in 5hrs 
including stops to shout at my camera

suunto now gives me these ahem 3d maps



No comments:

Post a Comment