Sunday 20 June 2021

Last Tango in Warriston

 

26th May
Three weeks since the last blog. Much has been happening. After a slow May, things (Summer) got underway in June with more gusto. The wet and windy Spring took its toll though and butterfly emergence has still been compromised for many species. And the flowers have been correspondingly later to appear. But it is all on the improve and there is no alternative than to record what has been appearing. 

Meanwhile this was the last trip to Warriston Cemetery for ages. Nearly a month has passed since then and I have been too busy chasing butterflies elsewhere to see how things have been going along there. (Very nettley from the pics I see others post.) I find it hard to believe I have not visited what was my favourite haunt over Winter and early Spring in so long, however when they are giving away heroin in Holyrood who is going to go to Warriston for methadone? Not quite fair, as Warriston was often busy with the real deal. I have to cite work as being another major distraction. I have far too many jobs lined up and customers drumming fingers, to swan off hunting wildlife too often. Annoying but true.



I can't recall much from this short trip other than the sun being out as well as a million mayflies which swarmed up and down the Water of Leith in large clouds making the most of the last days of their month. I seem to have taken most or all of these photos in the section beside the river. I would have been looking for speckled woods and orange tips. The latter were regular visitors particularly the females, (absent of actual orange on their wingtips.)


speckled wood





Now this old oak seems to have been a favourite with many of the visitors. I don't know about its history - whether it was felled or whether it jumped - but do know it is sadly missed. And looking closely, good news, it is not dead, but sprouting new leaves from an otherwise dead looking stump. Perhaps it has sufficient life force to grow back again. 


I am remembering this OT female. She was sitting atop the white flowers which I checked for butterflies. Quietly waiting for the sun to come out. I took my time lining up different shots and trying out different backgrounds and vantage points. The sun came back out and she sprang into life but checked out all the local flowers giving me a chance to take way too many pics. Only the very best made it here. I should only really post 1 or 2 to give the impression I nailed it first attempt and then walked coolly away. However I always find it tricky to throw away anything half decent. So here are far too many shots of the same obliging orange tip. 














No comments:

Post a Comment