Sunday 9 May 2021

bluebells, butterflies, bees

 

2nd May
Another few hours in Warriston. The blue bells and lots of other flowers were making the place look very jolly. And that attracts the butterflies (and hoverflies and bees.) And all the ivy and jungly growth attracts the birds. I was thinking I must shoot more video just to get the birdsong which is near constant and fills the place. Slowly I am beginning to know a handful of birds by their songs but it is not easy as often they are very similar and some birds (Great Tits of which there are loads) seem to have several different calls.





small white
















Ever since a load of ivy disappeared from the wall next to the secret garden area the rat has to make its way over a more exposed route. I was surprised to see it eyeing me up here. It is far more cautious than the birds and normally does not like to be seen. However it stopped for 10 seconds to weigh up the situation and maybe assess whether I was friend or foe. I took the rare chance of getting some close ups  before it shot off. It can't have been a favourable conclusion it came to as it has remained hidden since.


bullfinch

2 male blackbirds squaring up

rumble!

speckled wood in the speedwell


blackcap (male)

I have been seeing blackcaps more, recently. Usually in pairs, they are quite shy and so I rarely get a decent photo before they fly up into the high branches.



lots of bees around the place including these tiny ones


bee-fly

The bee-fly was taking wee sudden turns and whips at the grass and I reckoned it was probably laying eggs. It didn't land but sort of flew towards some grass then turned sharply as if jettisoning something before resuming normal service.


I came across a couple of piles of dead bumble bees. There were so many that I lifted a dozen out the grass and placed them on a grave stone to make an artistic installation. I heard later from people who had looked into it, that Great Tits sometimes target bees for food, snipping off their stings then eating their insides. The tits will all be rearing chicks currently and there are loads of bees so I presume it is just nature using what is available. It did appear a bit sinister and afterwards I thought I should have maybe removed the bees corpses from the grave stone as it all looked a bit wasp factory.





I think this was the crypt robin, who is exceptionally obliging,
posing for pics in a very photogenic way. 



a crow nearby watched carefully and then (with a little bribery)
joined in



okay, do heroic!















Just as I was about to leave the sun came out and an orange tip landed on some blubells. The colour mix is perfect but you have to be quick as often they won't spend long before flying off. Superb end to a really lovely 2 or 3 hours wander.









No comments:

Post a Comment