Thursday 10 September 2020

wet reps



23rd Aug
If fate hands you lemons make lemonade. If the rain is hosing down go and run hill reps. Well tarmac hill reps. 

The weather gods were trying to punish the tourists who had ignored the news that the festival was cancelled, and we got some of the usual festival weather. I have been really enjoying the lack of festival traffic, particularly overseas visitors looking the wrong way crossing roads along which I am cycling. There is not one show I have missed. Which is the exact opposite of every other year. Best August in years.


The church at the top of Easter Road has let their patio go to hell.

putting cones to queue by in this weather is optimistic

satire at its finest - who needs a festival?



So the plan was a warm up circuit of Holyrood then reps over by the Commie Pool roundabout. I had the waterproof camera but there wasn't a lot to take pics of. We were wearing vests because it wasn't cold and knew that shortly we would be heating up considerably. Then Janet appeared. It was lovely to catch up, having not really chatted for ages. Her and I ran on - I knew Mary would not appreciate the speed session starting on the climb to Dunsapie, and that J and I should run on and she would catch us later. Janet left the park at the roundabout and I waited for the coach who was not long behind.

Janet



The session was one we had done before and I like it. We ran past the roundabout and down the hill to the first section of rumble strips across the road. We start from there and head back uphill to the roundabout for 2 mins of full steam ahead. I get about 80 yards beyond the roundabout and Mary gets to the roundabout. Rinse and repeat. The game is to push hard on each rep and try and get the same distance up the hill as last time or further. You recover on the jog back to the start point.

Experience teaches you not to give it 100% on the first one. You have the advantage of being fresh but only really loosen off the legs for the second lap. Which you measure. Third and all is settling into place. Fourth and you are now giving it 100% knowing you only have one more and can throw 110% at that. Except on the fourth leg a collie off the leash came running over at great speed growling and barking and fairly sure it was going to bite me. It did not but was a close thing. I called to the owner that it was not on. He was already really scolding the dog but we all knew it was his fault, not the dog's and hence his exaggerated shouting in shame. A pox on both of them. And it ruined my perfect pattern of reps. The bleep on my watch coming a few yards short of the marker I had placed. Fuckers. 



At least the 5th rep was the longest by quite a few yards, channeling my love of dogs into the output. I don't even dislike dogs. I'd happily have one as a running companion if it wasn't irresponsible to keep one indoors all day while I go out to work. And I don't much approve of those folk you see out walking a dozen dogs at the same time. Is it really possible to pick up after all of them? Or control all of them adequately. Although I did see someone doing just that the other day down at Silverknowes. I do love animals. But I'm not sure it is fair to salve my emotional inadequacies by having a living creature to offset them. And I like to be able to go abroad or on holiday without them having to be kennelled. Easier to just not have a dog, much as I like them. Except the ones that leave shit in the street and bite folk. Had another close run in just the other day - with much shouting and barking. No blood was spilled but jeezo it came close. Like guns, it's mainly the owners are the problems; but, like guns, the fewer about the better.

puts on mask to mingle in supermarket

Running hard always produces an afterglow of calm and a job well done. You always feel better. I think you get huge benefits from making your heat beat at maximum or close to maximum. It doesn't feel nice or fun at the time, of course not, but I think it burns more calories and leaves you knowing you have made an effort. And the next time a dog runs at you in the street you will be lighter on your feet, faster to ready a punch and all that adrenaline racing around your system won't make you feel quite so sick and shaky. That's not a great feeling either but if it saves you a trip to A&E for a shot then it will have all been worthwhile. Enjoy!

five reps with dogleg on 4th





No comments:

Post a Comment