Friday 15 May 2020

hooray for holyrood pt2



10th~13th May
I've been finding a renewed interest in running. All the sunny days and hunting butterflies in Holyrood Park have got me out the door. Once out I have been doing a few sprints, hills and tempo intervals and I can feel the benefit. I am actually enjoying running again and did nearly a fortnight of out-every-day stuff, though some days were on the bike.  I think the 7 day running total was 53miles so about 7 or 8 miles daily. They clock up slower when you go off road but they are also more enjoyable. Especially if you come home with several hundred photos on the SD card. 

swifts and swallows around Holyrood Palace
always present a challenge



crows on the Dasses


Even with blues skies you can't guarantee butterflies.
On the 10th I was resorting to micro moths for entertainment.


tiny


cinnabar moth

I was a bit dispirited from the lack of butterflies on my run. I had checked out a couple of areas and there was nothing. Usually I'll just resort to running slightly harder which leaves you feeling better. It doesn't feel good while you're doing it, but afterwards there is a feeling of achievement and thank goodness that has stopped. However as I was passing the park gatehouse at the Pollock entrance I noticed a Lilac bush next to the polytunnel greenhouse. Until the buddleias come out in flower these are about as good a draw as any plant for butterflies. As I turned the corner I saw, sat on one of the large flower plumes a Red Admiral, my first for 2020. And it sat, holding on in the breeze, while I took loads of photos. I ran home with a smile on my face. 



just there, about 3.45pm


Next day and plenty insects about. Still thousands of St Mark's Flies which I struggle to appreciate. At least they don't stick around all summer. And they do provide food for parent birds to help feed their young.

When out the other day with Mary I put in a request to go through the old disused quarry on the West side of the back of the Crags. Although there are a couple of exposed slabs of stone it is all covered in shrubs, nettles, brambles and wildflowers. We went through it but at far too fast a pace to examine the wildlife. So I returned solo, a couple of times later in the week. First time I went past I waved hello to a rather laid back guy who was sunbathing on a slab. Second time through I waved hello again and he saluted me with a can of what might have been strong and inexpensive lager or cider.

Next best thing was this freshly coloured Tortoiseshell which allowed me to get close enough for a couple of macro shots. On the upside they give a wideangle bugs eye view with tremendous detail, and take in more of the background, albeit blurred. On the downside there is a really short depth of field and most of the photo is out of focus. And you have to get really close to the subject - about 30mm away from the lens, which means I'm usually holding the camera at arms length in one hand trying not to spook the butterfly by looming over it. And I never have my eye on the viewfinder for those shots so it is almost entirely hit-and-hope and judging it by where the lens is pointing. And trying not to cast a shadow of the camera on the subject. So lots of shots fired off quickly, then at home go through them to find the best. I do like the more dynamic results which can lift a photo of a butterfly on the ground or sitting on something boring. 





Wall

I had planned not to bother the Geen Hairstreak again as it was nearly getting busy at that particular spot on the Queen's Drive. However I somehow found myself there and although the GH had vanished there were quite a few fly-bys from Orange Tips, whites and a Wall who would land on a flower for 1.25 seconds then dash off smirking at your impoverished attempts at speedy snaps.




Then there were the Small Coppers. A micro colony of 3 or 4 charmers who would fly at and see off anything interesting a fraction of a second before you pressed the shutter release. They only just made up for that by posing on flowers in a really quite helpful manner.





Just remembered why I was passing the GH bush - I was on my way round to Duddingston to see if the goslings had hatched. They had. Someone remarked that it looked like I was in amongst them. I have a zoom lens (x28) and so I could sit on the ground way back and not incur the wrath of the parents. They seem to run a creche system - 4 adults minding about 20 chicks. And I wonder if they actually know who is whose offspring. And does it really matter? The parent birds kept a wary eye on me but were pretty cool and only did a little hissing when I arrived. They are used to humans (often with bags of bread) so allowed me to take some shots and video without any hassle. The chicks are constantly on the move when not lying in a huddle snoozing so are quite tricky to get decent shots of. Very cute though. 






One or 2 damselflies about but not many.

I ran up (possible exaggeration there) Crow Hill to see what was there. I have been busy cataloging every patch of blaeberry on the hill and am now completely bored of blaeberry and absent Hairstreaks. I was also chasing the errant Red Admiral seen up there ages ago by Ken and then by Derek a couple of days later. I didn't think it could be the one in the lilac bush (too fresh) and would have been surprised if it was still up the hill. Still no sign but again was blessed by the Painted Lady, presumably the one I saw the day before. It landed on the grass which makes for an even more insipid photo than on a rock. It was too windy for a taller perch and there are no perches on Crow Hill other than gorse bushes. When I got close the PL didn't fly off. Macro time! It flew off a couple of times but landed nearby again, and eventually by lying on the ground and slithering up to it (channelling my inner snake) I got some shots I was delighted with. It had raised its wings in readiness to fly off or because there wasn't much sun, and the detail of its hairy self is amazing. I have posted the close up at the bottom of this page.





Couple of days later (13th May) and the sun was blasting. Blue skies and I headed up to Holyrood almost out of habit. I was going to go a cycle but the weather was almost perfect for butterflies. I went past the Commie Pool entrance where Mairi had taken a photo of an immaculate Small Copper in mint condition, but couldn't find it. There seemed to have been an emergence of Small Torts as I saw 3 in quick succession on the rise after the roundabout in rough ground there. 




Looking at the following shots I seem to have ended up at the Hairstreak spot again. The Coppers were performing very well in the sunshine on the Bloody Cranesbill which is more purple than red. And there was the usual fly-bys by various whites, although a GVW was so engrossed by a flower head I managed to get some macro shots before it twigged and flew off. The blooms really add colour to the photos and it is hard to resist the charms of this roadside pitstop. More gooselings at Dudd lochside then up Crow Hill mainly for the exercise and because it is there, passing the time kicking through some blaeberry just in case though this has become an unconscious act I am no longer in control of. I see Richard in the distance doing similar and we wave. Then head up to see if that Painted Lady is still about. No sign but plenty Small Torts on the sunny side just below the summit and a very frustrating Wall which skips past taunting us several times. I get 2.5 crappy photos. I'm pretty sure it was trying to lure us to our deaths on the dirt and ballbearing steep slopes above a skitter and scream into the waiting gorse below. Ah well, at least I got a decent shot of the now absent Painted Lady before I died.



synchro pair rehearsing














well camouflaged bastard


Painted Lady macro!






No comments:

Post a Comment