Wednesday 11 December 2019

(sun-)dog day afternoon


17/11/19
Nice weather and the sun is out, let's go to Gullane. There's an early morning misty dew sweeping across the JMW even though it's the afternoon. Picking out the spider webs and giving the insects the day off. Pretty sure we had coffee and scones but it was a while back and nothing much of this time of the year sticks in the mind. I stumble through the winter like a chore I'm not terribly good at or fond of. There are good days, and this was one of them, but there are more that aren't, and it seems wasteful to spend time wishing away large chunks of my life till Spring, and the butterflies and the decent weather returns. Man I hate this time of year. And christmas! And an election! Well they don't improve things either. 


hello Porty ladies!









I think it's icy crystals high in the atmosphere that cause halos and sun-dogs (those mini-rainbow effects) around the sun. Mary rolls her eyes about my enthusiasms for them. They are rarer than rainbows and about as fleeting. Always worth a song and dance! A little bit of white magic. Even though she is sceptical, I know it seeps into her soul though, (like butterflies), and she probably wouldn't run past one on her own without taking a photo. If only to share it with me later and let me know what I missed. 



This was the day after the 7 Hills 7 Beers. I nearly escaped the traditional hangover where you feel crap early on and slowly feel less crap as the day progresses. Mostly I felt fine. However, as I reported on the blog, I had maybe 7 or 8 (one for every pint!) little deaths throughout the day where a wave of nausea would crash over me and for about 30 seconds I would feel very wobbly. Like a BAD drum roll. In anticipation of a cymbal crash. That maybe I'd faint or puke or both. Happily the cymbal crash never materialised. But each time it happened I felt horrible. I was writing about it to Nick on messenger much later in the day and set off another episode just by concentrating on trying to describe it accurately. Hope this isn't a new delightful recipe, part of getting older. There are many treats in store but I hadn't heard of that one.


lapwings

odd rainbowy stuff overhead




There were a gang of volunteers clearing up the savannah at Aberlady. Nice day for it by comparison to some we've had. This photo is zoomed in. From a distant naked eye they looked and moved a bit like zombies. 



sun-dog!

other side




Mazza shows off her footy skills.



oo, that was nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment